The Impetus for Telework at Cleveland Clinic
When they reached out to us, Cleveland Clinic, like many of our clients, were seeking to formalize a telework program. Organizations looking to extend telecommuting solutions to their employees typically find their rationale in one of a handful business drivers (employee attraction/retention, cost reduction, environmental concerns, etc.). In this particular instance, the Clinic’s Information Technology Division (ITD) was moving from a spacious, but dated building, into a streamlined, modern location; in order to effectively relocate into a significantly smaller office, it was determined that a portion of the workforce would need to work remotely.
Stegmeier Consulting Group founder Diane Stegmeier was interviewed by the Cleveland Plain Dealer, along with Betsy Krohngold, a project manager for the Clinic, about ITD’s delve into a remote work environment. The article “Working from home not for everyone, but it can still be a ‘win-win’ for many workers and employers” touches on the challenges ITD faced as the workforce became increasingly mobile, as well as the importance of assessing who is a good fit to participate in a telework program.
In helping to lead Cleveland Clinic’s Connected Workforce Initiative, some of the services Stegmeier Consulting Group provided were:
- Visioning sessions to determine leadership’s appetite for change
- Focus groups to gather the insights/concerns of employees who had been piloting a 1-day/week remote work program
- Round table discussions with the managers of these employees
- FlexMatch™ Suitability Assessments of the workforce to determine each candidate’s fit for the telework program
- Change management plan
- Communications plan and content (individual emails to be delivered, FAQs, leader talking points, etc.)
- Educational webinars – Dispelling the Myths of Remote Work
- Executive updates and weekly project management
- Live, facilitated training sessions for participants in the telework program, and, separate sessions for the managers of these employees